Swallow is the sister ship of Osprey, and was built to the same specification although 9 years later. Swallow has a straight stem and cruiser stern. The boat is finished in varnished teak with a red hull and green plimsoll line. Swallow is fitted with the original engine, a Sissons triple expansion steam engine and a replica boiler.
Swallow was originally built in 1911 for William Warburton of Cragwood. Before that, Warburton had lived at Belle Grange, where he had owned an innovative electric launch, also called Swallow. However, when he moved to Cragwood he no longer had a natural power source for charging the electric vessel’s batteries, so he had the steam powered Swallow built to replace it. The steam launch Swallow was later owned by J Parker, Kendal and then purchased by Leslie Goldsmith. It was completely restored under the ownership of Leslie Goldsmith and was loaned to the Windermere Steamboat Museum in the 1970’s. In 1984, the Museum purchased Swallow from the Goldsmith family and it became a permanent member of the collection.
Swallow was used as one of the main passenger carrying steam launches at the Museum and has therefore been heavily used during its lifetime, but fortunately still retains a lot of its original historic material.
|Engine||Sissons triple expansion, bore 4.5” 6” 8”, stroke 5.5”|